General English Language Course (Pre-Intermediate)
The pre-intermediate level of the English Language Course is designed to develop the students ability to handle oral and written communication skills.This would be achieved by emphasis on using the language through processes of exploration, and discussion of certain topics (cultural, educational, scientific and others)strengthening, meanwhile,the independent analytical and critical thinking among students.
Another main crucial objective is to internalize the underlying structures of the language through series of supplementary and supporting tasks and activities.
Through the course,students deal with the following:
1. Individual oral presentation son various topics.
2. General discussions on the topics of presentations.
3. Supplementaryand supporting tasks and activities to
- internalize the underlying structures.
- develop theoral & written communication skills
- develop the analytical criticalthinking
4. Some short grammatical notes given by the teacher to draw the students’ attention to the underlying structure in question.
5. Class assignments
At the end of the course the students are expected to do (or reveal) the following as evaluated by the faculty in the department:
- Acquire the basics of the spoken language with attempts to practice intensively on it through various processes of oral communication.
- Develop independent learning.
- Develop the analytical and critical thinking.
- Use of IT devices in presentations.
Teachers bear in mind that a learner-centered method and not a teacher-centered is to be applied in order to achieve the objectives given above. Consequently, students are given most of the time in class to explore, practice and use the language.
Further, students are involved in a variety of activities and tasks prepared and designed by the teacher to fully cover the various parts of the topic in question. Teachers, however, are allowed to give some short grammatical notes when necessary to draw the students’ attention to the structures in use.
|Topics for presentations & discussions||Underlying Structures|
|People the great communicatorsPeople talking about their
The best shopping street in the
|What do you want to do
Your favorite star
Problems & suggestions
|Verb pattern 1
What’s it like
Comparatives and superlatives
For and since
Have got to
Talk about your city
Plants that changed the world
Dreams & reality
Verb patterns 2
|How to earn a living
What is a good job?
|Present perfect continuous
- 60 hours / 6 weeks
- Weekdays Classes
- Sunday to Thursday
- One Time or Installment
- Books included